Pittsburgh Car Accident FAQ
Our lawyers fight for maximum compensation
When you’ve been hurt in a Pittsburgh car accident, you may not be sure what to do next. After you’ve been treated for your injuries and the accident scene has been cleared, there are a lot of decisions to be made. The accident wasn’t your fault, but it’s not clear how you go about recovering the compensation you deserve. All you have are questions.
The experienced car accident lawyers at Romanow Law Group have answers. We know what you are going through and we are ready to help. Our firm helps people who have been hurt in car accidents recover financial compensation for the damages that have suffered. Our lawyers can guide you through the process every step of the way.
- What should I do after I’ve been in a car accident?
- Do I need a lawyer?
- Should I see a doctor after a car accident?
- What should I tell my insurance company after a car accident?
- Why should I hire your firm?
- How much do you charge?
- How much compensation can I get?
- What if the accident was partly my fault?
You probably have other questions, too. We are happy to answer them during a free consultation with one of our car accident lawyers. There’s no obligation. We just want to make sure that you have the information you need. Call 1-844-GET-MORE or contact us online to schedule a time that is convenient for you.
If you’ve been in a car crash:
- Don’t panic. Try to stay calm, take a deep breath, and check for injuries.
- Call 911 for serious injuries.
- Call the police to report the accident. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Do not exit your vehicle until you are sure that it is safe to do so.
- Do not move your car following an accident unless it is necessary for your safety or required by law.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene. These pictures should include any roadway debris, damage to the vehicles, traffic control devices, scene of the accident and visible injuries.
- Stay at the scene of the accident until help arrives. Never leave the scene of the accident until after the police have concluded their investigation.
- Exchange insurance information with the other drivers involved in the collision.
- Be courteous to everyone at the scene of the accident, including the driver who hit you.
- Find witnesses and write down their contact information. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that the investigating officer will generate a detailed police report.
- Never talk to the adverse driver’s insurance company without representation of counsel.
- Call your insurance carrier and tell them you were involved in an accident.
- Pretend that someone is recording everything that you say and do.
- DO NOT discuss the nature of your injuries with your insurance carrier.
- DO NOT delay in seeking treatment for your injuries.
- DO NOT tell anyone that the accident was your fault, even if you believe that it was.
If you are involved in a car accident, it is wise to seek the advice of an experienced car accident attorney. You may hear that unless you sustained severe injuries, there’s no need for a lawyer. This is not true. Many of the acute traumatic injuries that people sustain in a car accident manifest slowly over time. Getting a lawyer can help you make sure you are properly compensated.
Even if your injuries are minor, the insurance company will try to pay you as little as they can. The best way to get insurance companies to take your case seriously is to call a car accident lawyer. We won’t let insurance companies take advantage of you. Our lawyers help you fight back to recover the compensation you deserve.
Some people suffer serious injuries in a car accident and are taken to a hospital. In some cases, people can walk out of their car. They feel shaken up but seem to feel fine. So they may not think it’s necessary to see a doctor.
If that describes you, see a doctor anyway – as soon as possible. You could have injuries you aren’t aware of, and symptoms may not show up until later. Only a medical professional can determine if you have been injured. The other reason it’s a good idea to get examined is that a doctor will document your injuries. This will help your case when you are trying to recover compensation from the insurance company.
If you have been involved in a car accident, you are required to report it to your own insurance company. Tell them what happened, as well as where and when the accident happened. Give the information you have about the other driver. Tell them about any injuries that you have and whether you had to go to the hospital.
Don’t talk about who was at fault and don’t accept blame. If the insurance company asks you to make a recorded statement or answer any questions, politely decline. Tell them that you need to talk to your lawyer first. Then talk to an experienced car accident attorney about what happened.
Our firm has the experience, legal knowledge and commitment needed to recover maximum compensation. Attorney David Romanow used to work for large law firms and won hundreds of millions of dollars for clients through negotiated settlements and jury verdicts. Attorney Ismail Yousef has a doctorate of pharmacy degree and offers valuable insight into car accident injuries and how they affect our clients.
Our sole focus is on helping people who have been injured in car accidents and other personal injury accidents recover compensation for their injuries. We’re not interested in quick settlements that help the insurance company save money. Our goal is to help you get maximum compensation.
Because we work on a contingency fee, you can afford the legal services of an experienced and attentive law firm after your car accident. If we take your case, you owe us nothing unless we recover compensation for you. We pay all the costs to move your case forward, no matter how long it takes. That’s our No Fee Guarantee. We want you to focus on recovering from your injuries.
If we recover financial compensation for you through a negotiated settlement or jury verdict, our fee will come out of that amount. We will be upfront with you right from the beginning about our fees. There are lawyers out there who offer discounts, but we believe that the best car accident lawyers don’t cost you more, they get you more.
While it’s impossible to give you an exact number, our experienced car accident lawyers can give you a good idea of what to expect. In general, you experience economic and non-economic damages in an accident. Economic damages can include medical expenses (current and future), lost wages, loss of earning capacity and other expenses with an actual dollar value.
Determining the value of noneconomic damages is more difficult. These include pain and suffering and emotional distress – things that are difficult to put a price on. We can estimate a value based on previous jury awards. We can give you a better idea of the compensation you can expect during a free consultation.
You can probably still recover financial compensation for the damages you suffered. Pennsylvania uses a modified comparative negligence when determining compensation. That means if your fault for the accident is found to be less than 51 percent, you can recover financial compensation for damages.
The compensation you are awarded will be reduced. For example, if you are found to be 25 percent at fault for the accident, your award will be reduced by that same amount. Insurance companies will try to argue that your percentage of fault is much higher than it was. That’s why you need an experienced car accident lawyer to fight for you.